eTA Requirements

Requirements for obtaining the Canadian eTA

Beginning in mid-March 2016, you will need to have your permanent Canadian resident card or your permanent resident travel documents whenever you travel to Canada, otherwise, you may not be allowed to board the flight.

When you visit Canada, you should always carry your travel documents and proper identification, both for yourself and for the children traveling with you.

It is the responsibility of transport companies, including airlines, to ensure that you have all the appropriate and valid travel documentation you need. If this is not the case, you may be delayed or not allowed to board the aircraft.

The following travel documents are not considered reliable and cannot be used to enter Canada:

  • Passports allegedly issued by Somalia.
  • Machine-readable passports issued by the Czech Republic.
  • Temporary passports issued by the Republic of South Africa.
  • Provisional passports issued by Venezuela.

How long can I stay in Canada as a visitor?

The border services officer at the Canadian Port of Entry (POE) will determine how long you are allowed to remain in the country. Most visitors are welcome for a period of six months from the date of entry, however, if the officer only authorizes a shorter period, the date you must leave Canada will be indicated on your passport.

If you wish to stay longer than the authorized period, you must request an extension of no less than 30 days BEFORE your departure.

What is an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

The eTA is a new entry requirement for foreigners with visa exemption status who plan to travel to Canada by air. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

Do I need an eTA or visa to travel to Canada?

Depending on the country in which you are a citizen of your country, you may not need a visa, however, you may need an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization).

Transport companies, such as airlines, are responsible for ensuring that you have all the proper travel documentation to enter Canada. If you do not have these documents, including an eTA or visitor’s, you may be delayed or not allowed to board.

Visitors from the following countries do not need a visa to visit Canada (but will need an eTA):

Citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holy See (holders of a passport or travel document issued by the Holy See), Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (holders of an Israeli national passport), Italy, Japan, Korea (Republic of), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania (holders of an electronic passport issued by Lithuania), Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland (holders of an electronic biometric passport issued by Poland), Portugal, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Taiwan (holders of the ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Taiwan which includes their personal identification number).

British citizens and British citizens abroad: a British citizen or a British citizen abroad who is allowed to return to the United Kingdom.

Citizens of a British Overseas Territory whose citizenship is derived by birth, descent, registration or naturalization in one of the British Overseas Territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, the Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, Saint Helena or the Turks and Caicos Islands.
British National (Overseas) – holder of a British passport (Overseas) issued by the United Kingdom to persons born, naturalized or registered in Hong Kong.

British subjects – holder of a British subject passport issued by the United Kingdom which contains the observation that the holder has the right to reside in the United Kingdom.

Hong Kong Special Administrative Region – holder of a valid and valid passport from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents – A U.S. citizen or a person lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who is in possession of his or her alien registration card (green card) or can provide other proof of permanent residence.

How do I apply for an eTA?

The application is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes. You will need your passport, a credit card (Visa or Mastercard) and an email address. A credit card as there is a cost to process the eTA application, which will be valid for up to five years after issuance.

Do I still need a visa if I’m just passing through Canada non-stop?

If you are a citizen of a country that does not enjoy visa waiver status for Canada, then you will need a transit visa in order to pass through Canada without stopping or visiting. This is required even if your transit will take less than 48 hours, however, there is no charge for a transit visa. Fill out the application for a visitor’s visa (Temporary Resident Visa) and select transit visa from the list of options on the form.

If you enjoy visa exempt status and now require an eTA to visit Canada, then you will also need an eTA to pass through Canada.

You may not need a transit visa or an eTA if you are traveling to or from the United States. If certain aliens meet specific requirements, the Visa Free Transit Program (TWOV) and China Transit Program (CTP) allow them to travel through Canada on their way to and from the United States without a Canadian transit visa.