What do I need to travel to Canada?

It is mandatory for all travelers to hold a valid eTA prior to boarding an aircraft or a ship to Canada. All travelers must hold a valid, unexpired passport as well as apply for their eTA at least 72 hours prior to their travel date. ETA can be used to travel for holidays, business, transit or medical purposes.

Each traveler planning on visiting Canada must hold a valid Canadian eTA, infants, as well as adults or senior citizens, are required to hold a valid Electronic Travel Authorization. You can apply for your own Canadian eTA once you reach the age of 18. Minors under the age of 18 can obtain their eTA to Canada only if their parent or a guardian applies on their behalf.

The estimated average time to complete the online eTA application is 10 minutes. Canadian eTA is a multi-entry travel authorization allowing you to visit Canada multiple times within 5 years, however, one stay must not exceed 6 months.

To apply for an eTA online you will need to provide the following:

  • Valid passport information;
  • A valid Credit Card (to pay eTA fee);
  • Contact information;
  • Information on recent occupation status.

Please, note that those who have been convicted of a crime or hold a criminal record might not be able to apply for their eTA or their application will result in denial. It is important to note that the fees for Canadian ETA are nonrefundable even if the application was denied.

Other frequently asked questions

How long can you stay in Canada with an eTA?

How long does it take to get an eTA for Canada?

How long is Canada eTA valid?

How can I check if my eTA is still valid?